Later Life Program
The Kaw Nation Enhanced Training and Services to End Abuse in Later Life Project supports a comprehensive, coordinated community response to address and prevent elder abuse.
While sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, or stalking can affect victims in any age group, individuals who are 50 years of age or older who experience elder abuse, neglect, and exploitation can face unique barriers when receiving services. Recognizing this, The Kaw Nation Later in Life Program strives to alleviate gaps in direct services for elderly-specific survivors of abuse and continue to respond to the growing needs for victim/survivors in Kay County.
- Age or disability may increase isolation for victims of elder abuse, and professionals may mistakenly perceive age or disability, rather than abuse, as the reason for a victim’s injuries.
- Victims may depend on their abusers for care or housing, and abusers may intimidate them using threats of placing them in a nursing home.
- Victims may experience shame or embarrassment in addition to the fear of losing the support their abuser provides.
- Crisis intervention
- Danger Assessment or Safety Planning
- Emergency Shelter placement or shelter resources
- Assistance with filing a Protection order.
- Legal/Power of Attorney (obtaining or transfer)
- Limited financial assistance
- Referrals to other agencies as needed by client.
Requirements to qualify for services
- Must be at least 50 years of age or older.
- Must reside in Kay County.
- Be a victim of a form of elder abuse*
*Elder abuse is not always with an intimate partner. A perpetrator of elder abuse can be anyone that the elder trusts. A family member, caregiver, healthcare worker, spouse, or partner.
*Victims DO NOT have to be tribal affiliated or enrolled.
Reach Out Today!
You are not alone. We are here to help.
We Can Help!
Kaw Nation Family Trauma Healing Center: We empower trauma survivors and families through support, cultural healing, and community awareness, breaking the cycle of violence for a brighter future.
Call (580) 362-1098 to start
106 W. 7th Newkirk, OK 74647