Heating and Cooling Assistance/Water Assistance

LIHEAP is designed to alleviate the immediate threat of utility service disconnection (electricity, gas, propane, or heating oil/wood). LIHWAP is designed to alleviate the immediate threat of water service disconnection and help those approved with arrearages.

IMPORTANT: Any unpaid balances from a previous residence, any re-connect fee or deposits of any kind will not be paid.

Application Requirements:

  • Must be a member of a federally recognized tribe
  • Must live within the defined service area
  • Applications CANNOT be put in a child’s name
  • Must provide Social Security Numbers for applicant and ALL members of the household
  • Must provide a copy of Driver’s License/Photo ID for ALL ADULT members of thehousehold
  • Must provide resident verification (if renting, rental agreement from landlord)
  • Current utility bill and/or disconnect notice
  • Birth certificates and guardianship papers for ALL non-tribal children in the household

Income Requirements:

  • Income verification from ALL SOURCES for all members of the household
  • If you are claiming $0 income, provide statement from DHS, unemployment, etc. statingyour household income and number in residence. Must fill out a Zero Income StatementForm and turn it in with application to be processed

Other Qualifications:

  • If you have used DHS (LIHEAP) Assistance, you CANNOT receive LIHEAP from thetribe. WE WILL CONTACT DHS AND OTHER TRIBES TO VERIFY.
  • Must meet the LIHEAP income guidelines to qualify